Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hurry Up and Wait...

Little known fact about me: I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps Reserve... went to boot camp at Parris Island and everything. It was an interesting time in my life, to say the least.

One very common phrase we heard was "Hurry up and wait!". It was fitting, for sure... my whole platoon would be hurried through the shower... hurried to get dressed... hurried to eat... hurry, hurry, hurry... then we'd get where we were trying to go... and we'd wait. And wait some more, usually.

It seems that's a common theme in life outside the military too :-) I mean, my daughter's 5th birthday party is later this afternoon, and all week I've been preparing things, making lists, hurrying to be "ready".... and now I wait. The things that are left to be done I can't do till right before the party... so I wait.

I tend to be early everywhere I go... ha! Seriously... I'm at Sunday School fifteen minutes early and usually end up having to wait on my children's teachers to get there before I can go to my class... and so the cycle continues... I hurry my kids through getting ready... we get to church... and we wait :-)

The worst... labor!! When I'm having my babies, my labor tends to go quickly... and the nurses are funny. They never believe me when I tell them it's time to deliver. They always tell me to give them one good push to see where we are... and every time (I've had five babies!)... half way through that push they say "Don't push!" and then hit the call button and have the doctor called in and the nursery nurses called in... and once again... I've been in a hurry to have this baby... and I wait.

And here I am... I've hurried up... and once again I'm waiting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment