Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why My Playgroup is Impressive...

I go to a playgroup once a week with my two that aren't in school yet. I LOVE it!! It's nothing fancy, but it's such a wonderful time to talk to other moms while our kids play together.

Thinking back it was definitely meant to be that I go to this group. My husband and I lived in Butler, AL for two years before we moved to Meridian (he works there) and I would come to Meridian periodically for doc appointments and to shop. One day I was at McDonald's playland eating lunch before making the drive back home and I got to talking to another mom there. She invited me to a playgroup that met at her church and gave me her phone number... she was so sweet and welcoming! A lot of time passed because we were moving to Meridian and I was about to have baby #3 at any moment. Since so much time had passed, I didn't call...

We started going to the church my sister-in-law and her family went to (we are still members there!) and I met another dear friend of mine there... and she invited me to a playgroup that she went to... you guessed it... same one! :-)

The group has changed a LOT over the 5 years (WOW! I cannot believe it's been that long!) that I've been going... there have been times there were only a few of us and times that there were a lot of us. Some of the moms have outgrown playgroup because their kids are older now and some have moved away.

But there is one thing that has always been true for me.... I LOVE those moms! We are a very diverse group of ladies.... we go to different churches, some are military and some aren't, some have more money that others, some have one child some have more, some homeschool and some public or private school, some are democrats and some are republicans... and I could go on and on. But we are all moms! And we have fun together and we laugh together and we are there for each other when one of us needs something. It's pretty awesome :-)

Part of the reason I am so impressed by this is because of how MEAN I've seen moms be to each other. I mean... seriously? Why is that? Why are moms so mean to other moms who don't make the same parenting choices they do? It is possible to have strong opinions about something... and even discuss those opinions... without being mean. But some moms are still mean. It makes no sense to me.

But not at the playgroup I go to! :-)

So, if you are interested in coming to playgroup, leave your email address in a comment and I'll be happy to give you more info... but if you're mean... don't ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed hearing this history of playgroup, and this is the reason i love it too (although i'm semi-new :P)! Such a sweet community of women :)...and i really like the fact that it is diverse too---LOVE that---that we can bond as moms, truly some special women there! and YES, NO meanies allowed! hee hee :)

    ReplyDelete