Sunday, May 30, 2010

Freedom is not Free

I must admit that I take my freedom for granted most days. I go on about my business, making decisions about my children's education and health and my lifestyle. I pray and talk to my children about Jesus and my family goes to church three times a week. We do all these things without even giving a moment of thought to the fact that there are people out there who would die for the freedoms I enjoy. Without giving thought to the fact that people DID die for the freedoms I enjoy.

Today I am remembering... remembering that people died so I could be free... remembering that there are people fighting right now so that I can continue to be free... knowing that the people who are fighting right now are sacrificing time with their spouses and their children... knowing that some of the people who are fighting right now may not ever see their families again. Remembering... knowing.... hard stuff. It's stuff that should be appreciated and remembered.

So, thank you. Thank you to every person who has served our country. Thank you to every person who has sacrificed time with their loved ones so that we can be free. Thank you to every child that kissed their daddy goodbye and cried for him to come home. Thank you to every wife who loved and cried for and waited for your husband to come home. Thank you to every parent who hugged your child goodbye in an airport telling them how proud you are all the while scared to death. Thank you.

It is because of you that I am free to write this. Today I will not take that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment