Monday, June 21, 2010

The Reality....

Well, the reality of VBS wasn't as bad as I thought it would be :-)

If you read my last post, you know that I was dreading certain parts of VBS.... today was the first day so I thought I'd give an update.

The decorating wasn't that bad.... there are some people who go over the top with decorating their rooms, and that is wonderful because they really enjoy that part of it... but I'm not one of those people, so once I let go of the fact that my room just isn't going to look like those rooms... I was good :-) A sweet friend from church (the "go to girl"... you know who you are!) helped me get it all set up. We kept it very simple and were done quickly and were even able to help out the VBS director a good bit Sunday afternoon since the room was finished. And you know what? The kids in my class had no complaints about our room :-) Yay!

Then there was my concern over discipline issues I might have in my class. The last time I taught a VBS class there were a couple of children in there that were incredibly difficult (one of them hit me!) and that had me worried the same thing would happen again. But it didn't :-) I had 8 kids today and they were all very sweet kids. There was one child who tried to talk while I was talking some, but I can handle that :-) I also had a different helper during class time who is someone I didn't know very well but had the opportunity to get to know better today... and I love that! She helped out a lot! :-)

I'm still out of my comfort zone, but it's good to get outside our comfort zone occasionally. I learned a lot today about how long it would take to do activities.... I thought the activities would take longer than they did, so I can adjust the plan for the rest of the week based on what I learned today.

I could use prayer that I get some sleep :-) I've been having trouble sleeping and it would be a lot easier to be energetic with these children if I were rested. Other than that I am optimistic that this week will be a good one :-)

Good night! Gotta head back to Saddle Ridge Ranch in the morning! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment