Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm not ready!!!

....for my oldest child to go to middle school, that is.

Next school year (this August), I will have a child starting Kindergarten... that is absolutely no big deal in comparison to my oldest child going to middle school.

It's craziness!!! For several reasons...

---Middle school is a new phenomenon for me. When I was in school, we had "junior high" which was 6, 7, and 8th grades. This whole leaving elementary school in the 5th grade is new to me. I don't like it!

---Right now, my son's teacher sends home a weekly newsletter to tell me what they are studying and announcements for the week. I've been told that STOPS at the middle school. The students are told things and expected to write it down or remember it to tell their parents. What? I'm not ready for that!

---I know the people at the elementary school. I spent several years as a PTO officer there, two of them as president, and I got to know the teachers and administration and office staff. They are wonderful! And I know them. I do not know these people at the middle school. I know two teachers there and they are not 5th grade teachers. I am not okay with not knowing these people!

---I've just heard way too many nightmare stories about how the students act in middle school. Things my children will be exposed to there... this is the worst one for me. I am definitely not ready for this!

I realize that it is easy and even enjoyable for some parents to send their kids off to school. I can completely relate to needing a break, but there is no part of me that enjoys sending my kids off for eight hours a day. My children have had a WONDERFUL school experience and I am incredibly thankful for that! But I still LOVE having them home with me when I have them and DREAD sending them back when it's time to go back. That's just the way I roll...... :-)

So, come August... if you see a crazy looking woman standing in front of the middle school with tears in her eyes, staring and shaking her head.... don't be alarmed. It's just me ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I remember jr high for me as well... it's nothing like what the kids go through these days. You have 4 1/2 months to make sure that you and the child are ready. Remember - I don't have kids, but maybe you can start telling them things and no reminding them to see how they will handle middle school. And if you think your child is going to learn it in middle school - go ahead and talk to them about it now before going - so they know the truth and not something they just hear in school. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy! I have had "the talk" with him several times... well, really, I just answer questions as they are asked.. and I answer them honestly. And with me having babies a lot, the questions come up a lot :) So, he knows all about that stuff. And I've talked to him about drugs and alcohol a lot. Hopefully if there is anything else I need to talk to him about it will come up in the next few months!!

    ReplyDelete