Monday, March 22, 2010

When to shop?

I do my "big shopping trip" once a week... at Wal-mart. It takes at least an hour and a half. But I cannot decide when I like to do it, so I'm going to type it out in an effort to decide. Sorry to subject you to my oddities :-)

The two scenarios:

1. I go shopping on a weekday morning with my 2 year old and 8 month old.

2. I go shopping on a weekday night by myself.

It seems like a no-brainer. I mean, really... who would choose to spend an hour and half shopping for toiletries and groceries with two small children rather than go by herself? So, why is it I think I like scenario 1 better?

It makes no sense! :-)

But, then again, I tend to be an odd duck at times :-)

The huge negatives to scenario 2 (the by myself one) are:

---Some of the shelves are empty of what I need. I guess the people shopping all day have bought it all... but there have been numerous times I've needed something and the shelf was empty when I shopped in the evening.

---There are SO many more people!!! People everywhere! People who don't move out of the way and people who stare at the fact that I go to Wal-mart without makeup and in my sweats (I just know I'm going to end up on the people of Walmart website one day!).

---I spend more money. With the babies with me there is not much room in the buggy, so I cannot buy things that aren't on the list (sometimes I have to get two buggies an push one and pull one just to get the things I need!). But when I am by myself I can fit more things and I can also take more time which almost always ends up with more money spent.

---It takes away from my evenings. Assuming there is a night without any soccer or school functions, it's nice just to be at home with my family. And after the kids are in bed it's nice just to have some down time by myself or with my husband.

So... the no-brainer isn't so simple after all. I guess I'll be the odd duck who is pushing a buggy with two small boys while pulling a buggy that is full of groceries one morning a week. If you see me, feel free to stare :-)

1 comment:

  1. I hate to go alone - so I would pick number 1 as well!!

    ReplyDelete