Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Summer Plans

There are less than 30 days of school left! Which leads me to start looking at summer :-) I absolutely love having all my kids home for the summer. Love, love, love it!

We aren't the type of family that takes a vacation every year (can't afford it!)... in fact, as far as family vacations go... it happens very rarely. But this summer we are going to the beach! My 9 year old son is actually the one responsible for us making it happen this year. The conversation went something like this:

9 year old: Mom, we got the sheet about our TAG trip for this year... it costs over $200!!!

Me: Yes, it does... it did last year too. (he went last year)

9 year old: It did?!? That's a lot!

Me: Yes, it is!

9 year old: Mom?

Me: Yes...

9 year old: How about I don't go on the TAG trip and we go to the beach instead?

Me: Uh... why do you want to go to the beach?

9 year old: Because I've never been!!!

Me: Let me talk to your dad about it....

So, that's how it happened. My 9 year old has never been to the beach!! Yes, that's pretty pitiful... but in my defense, he has been to Chattanooga and to Disney and to Chicago and other places. Now, those trips were ones that someone else paid for... yay! Or they were trips we went on because someone was getting married or something like that. Anyway, that still doesn't change the fact that he's never been to the beach. So..... we're going to the beach :-)

Another reason that it has taken so long for us to plan a beach trip is that we (my husband and I) aren't really beach people. If I could choose a vacation spot, I would choose the mountains... not the beach. I don't like sand or sweat or bathing suits... so... that kinda hinders how I feel about the beach :-) And my husband likes the mountains too. He sunburns easily, so that's part of it. But we want our kids to experience the beach, so we are going :-)

We are spending three nights. We'll be cooking our own meals while we are there to keep costs down. Eating out with 5 kids gets pricey, so we'll be cutting costs where we can. Two will be in diapers, so that should be interesting :)

If I'm honest, I'm a little nervous! That sounds crazy, but I'm nervous about keeping up with everybody and the idea of getting all five kids and two adults lathered with sunscreen often enough and two diapered kids in clean diapers on the beach is a little overwhelming. And then there is the dilemma of how to carry towels, drinks, sunscreen, swim diapers, wipes, books, etc from our room to the beach... especially when we will have one child that isn't walking yet (or just starting to walk) and a two year old that may have his own ideas about where to go. The older kids will help carry stuff and hold hands of little ones, but it's still an overwhelming thought.

But... even though I'm nervous, I'm also excited :-) My kids will LOVE it, I'm sure! And my husband and I are already planning on doing some special things with the older ones while the babies are napping. My husband is planning on taking our oldest son to play tennis while I stay with the younger ones while they nap one day... and on another day I will take the girls to do something special while he stays with the nappers. So, it will be fun :-)

So that's how three nights of our summer will be spent (pray for no hurricane!!!) :-) I'll fill in on our other summer plans later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment